Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Talk to Your Children

As I have previously mentioned, I have three small children. As most parents, you have dreams and aspirations for your children. Some parents want their children to be doctors, lawyers - successful. Others hope their children are academically or athletically gifted - or both. But, I can honestly say that ultimately my biggest aspiration for my children is for them to be kind, loving and empathetic to every single person that come in contact with. I think I define the word "empathy" a million times a day to my four-year-old and two-year-old. My husband and I try to teach and model empathy & kindness daily. We sing the Daniel Tiger (a PBS Kids television show; my children adore Daniel Tiger) "Think about How Someone Else is Feeling" song like we breath air. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate that gem of a song on YouTube for your listening enjoyment. [Sorry. You are missing out if you haven't heard it.] Ultimately, I do not think I would feel more shame as a parent if one of my children became a "mean girl/guy" and was an aggressor of online harassment. #truth

So, why am I rambling about this? This week we are discussing cyber-security and online harassment. I am passionate about this topic first as a parent and second as a teacher (and, really a combination of both since I taught "Parenting" classes at the high school level before staying at home with our children). I was reminded again how cruel students can be to other students while watching the Frontline episode "Growing Up Online" that our professor posted as part of this week's discussion. I witnessed this cruelty as a teacher so the Frontline episode wasn't particularly surprising for me - but it still never ceases to horrify me how mean students can be to other students. Reminders like this are good for parents and teachers. It's easy for adults to tell students/their children to "just let it roll off your back" or "in ten years this won't matter" --- but IT does matter for young children and telling them that doesn't help. They can't rationalize through it. This is their life now.

Parents and teachers must remind themselves to teach their children/students about online harassment, cybersecurity and beyond daily. I will happily debate anyone who argues that schools shouldn't get involved with cyberbullying/harassment. I've heard the arguments against getting involved and there are holes in them like swiss cheese. There is positively NO way that what happens online will not/cannot spill over into the classroom. None. Nada. Zero. We have a job to do - teach children. That involves making sure students are in an environment that allows them to learn AND teaching them 21st century skills. Hello? --- Like about cyber security and online harassment. I understand it is not our mission as educators to teach children how to be overall "good people" but we are required to teach them 21st century skills. And, this topic is a 21st century skill. End. Of. Story.

When I was in high school I was the president of  our school's "Stop The Violence" club (don't snicker or cyber harass me! ::sarcasm::). It was a club that started mainly due to the 1999 Columbine school shooting. We held peace rallies and other curriculum for the student body. Sure, some kids laughed it off, but the majority embraced the concepts. In my opinion, the only way to combat and teach students about cyber security and online harassment is through parent education, student education, peer-to-peer activities, and having students and teachers create a culture in their school that makes these things uncool or important. Talk. Talk. Talk. Keep communication lines open and active.

Here are some valuable resources if you want to start making this a daily objective in your classroom:
http://www.onlineschools.org/student-bullying-guide/
http://cyberbullying.org/
https://www.facebook.com/help/safety
https://www.facebook.com/help/116326365118751
http://www.ncpc.org/topics
http://www.stopcyberbullying.org/index2.html
http://www.affordablecollegesonline.org/college-resource-center/cyberbullying-awareness/
https://staysafeonline.org/stay-safe-online/for-parents/cyberbullying-and-harassment

Of course, you can find a million more!

Okay, that's my soapbox. Now, excuse me, while I go lecture my daughters about empathy for the hundredth time today. ;) And, don't worry as they age they will hear all about cyber security, too!

Peace,
Sara


2 comments:

  1. Sara,
    I agree that cyber bullying is an important issue and should be talked about in schools. When it gets swept under the rug, the issue becomes worse then it needs to be.
    Thanks for the great information on cyber bullying!
    -Katie Kolinski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Katie. Ignoring the problem only intensifies it!

      Delete