Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Who, What & What?

Who Am I?



I am Sara. A mother. A wife. A Family Consumer Science Educator who is currently on "unpaid sabbatical" [sarcasm] to raise our three children. Born in Ohio. Taught seven years in Virginia. Relocated to Syracuse, NY four years ago. A Master's student in the Teaching & Curriculum program at Syracuse University who is on the slow and steady one-course-a-semester plan. I'll graduate when our youngest child is in college [sarcasm, again!].

What is this blog?
This blog serves as another avenue (beyond Blackboard) for further dissection and/or thoughts about topics and coursework from my Technologies for Instructional Settings course (IDE 611) at Syracuse University. Not only will I post odds and ends from class, I will use this blog to inform readers/classmates about a class assigned informational technology. So, for the first half of my semester enrolled in IDE 611, I will be informing readers about [Drum roll, please]: Web 2.0.


What is Web 2.0?
I searched the internet for a fresh, funky video to enthrall my readers that easily defined Web 2.0 --- but I failed. I decided to spare you the elevator music and monotone explanations that plagued my YouTube searches (Seriously, just search Web 2.0 in YouTube!). Instead, I am going to spell it out as directly and concisely as possible.

Before you can truly understand what Web 2.0 is you must first understand what is Web 1.0. Think of Web 1.0 as the first phase of the world wide web. It was a time when users came to the internet to simply find information. This information was simply read and there was no commenting, reviews, feedback, or sharing with the creator or other users. Web 1.0 did nothing for you but give you information. It was a one sided relationship. It gave you information. You read it. Consumed it. End of the simple Web 1.0 story.

Web 2.0 is the next phase of the world wide web. It is what we now access, likely, daily with our smartphones & tablets. It is no longer an one-sided relationship. As the blog author of WittyCookie explains, "Web 2.0 encourages participation, collaboration, and information sharing. Examples of Web 2.0 applications are YouTube, Wiki, Flickr, Facebook, and so on." Web 2.0 is interactive. It is no longer static like Web 1.0. The internet provides a service for users now. Before, with Web 1.0, it was your [crazy, huge circa 90's IBM jalopy!] desktop computer and you. Now, with Web 2.0 you are not only creating or accessing services you are also collaborating, sharing, and manipulating (your own or others) information with other users/people from everywhere, 24-7.

This blog is an example of a Web 2.0 application. The world wide web is providing me a free blog hosting service. I have created this blog and now you, as the reader, have the option to comment, share, post it or even try to recreate your own better version of it. Facebook provides me a social networking site. Wikipedia allows me to read information and now change it (unlike in Web 1.0 where users could not change anything).  Looking through the lens of an educator, when a student uses Web 2.0 they no longer memorize the information - they "make" or "create" using that information. Nothing is static or one-sided.

Though not every post will be about Web 2.0, I do plan to further your understanding of Web 2.0 and give you ample examples of Web 2.0 applications that can be used in the classroom. Stay tuned you poor, unlucky souls who have been assigned to read my blog.

Cheers,
Sara

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sara! it was great reading about you and your family! also, to be introduced to Web 2.0. I have never heard of it, but your explanation was better than any video or article could have done! Without Web 2.0. I wouldn't be able to leave this comment here! I am excited to see your blog for the rest of the Semester

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers to Web 2.0, then, huh? I am able to comment back at you! ;)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I'm so grateful that our daughters allowed us to meet last year. And now I'm thrilled that our common interests have us in the same class and same blog group. Yippeeee!

    Seeing your joyful personality and sense of humor echoed in this blog post made your introduction to Web 2.0 extra fun. I imagine we will put a few Web 2.0 practices to work and collaborate as I begin to write about "Game-Based Learning".

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, Thanks for your kind comments - I agree! AND, I can't wait to learn about "Game-Based Learning" as I only can recall information from my childhood playing Oregon Trail and Math Blaster on OLD Apple computers at school. ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Sara! I really like your description of Web 2.0. At first I was not sure what Web 2.0 was, but it makes sense that it is the phase of the web where users actually interact with it. I look forward to learning more from you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings back, Caitlin! Sounds like I don't need to proceed with any more postings about Web 2.0 - you got the concept already! :)

      Delete
  5. This was a great overview thank you for such a great example of how I should move forward with creating my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Evening, Softin. Thanks for your kind words. And, I am happy to hear it has helped you with your blog brainstorming/creation. I can't wait to read yours! :)

      Delete