Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Podcasting

This week our topic of research and discussion is on personal broadcasting. Which, of course, is yet another Web 2.0 application that educators can use in the classroom. Wowza - Web 2.0 applications just keep coming, folks! Of course, you can make your own podcasts as an educator using platforms like this or that or this. And, let's not forget about the opportunity for your very own, bright, amazing, students to create their very own podcasts, too! You can also find some credible podcasts wrapped up with a bow for you or your students to enjoy all over the internet, too. I just spent the entire day lost in podcast land. Seriously. Click on any Ted Talks podcast and you will be lost with your headphones on for hours (for non-apple users, you can also locate them on YouTube).  [Side note: If you are a fan of Ted Talks, they have this amazing lesson plan resource for educators. Oh, and this, too.]

When I was teaching [you know, before my unpaid sabbatical to raise three adorable little kids], I never thought to use podcasts in the classroom. However, after this week, and quite frankly after getting lost in podcast land this afternoon, I can see how valuable they are/could be in the classroom AND out of the classroom. Podcasts have their disadvantages, sure (i.e. if using pure audio podcasts you are only targeting auditory learners, if you don't go beyond the podcast their is no interaction - just boring, classic listening). But, they also have tremendous advantages: remediation, for use when a student is absent, cost is typically free, possibility for expansion activities and they can simply spice up the instructional period.

So, once again, Web 2.0 can transform the way we can teach or learn. You never know, you may have this lil' guy in your classroom waiting to be challenged and unleashed:





Other helpful podcasting in the classroom resources:
51 Education Podcasts For the 21st Century Teacher
Best Education Podcasts
Teacher's Guide to Podcasting
How To Make a Successful Podcast
The Podcast Consumer

4 comments:

  1. Obviously this era is going to emphasize the availability of technology in the academic setting. Through out my undergrad years, every week I was assigned the task to listen to a Ted Talk so I am very familiar with those. One thing I do like about them is being able to rewind and replay things. If you seek the information you are looking for and have questions, It is easy to re-access information. I have always preferred learning information and have found it is easier for me to learn and retain the information, but as I became more familiar with them, I found my rhythm with podcasts

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that podcasts were implemented so much in your undergrad. Your point about stopping, pausing, and rewinding the podcast is a very valid advantage! Being able to access the information repeatedly is amazing for students - especially for remediation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post again! You had me clicking on the "this" and "that". I just had to know!

    And I love this kid! I've got to check out where he is now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! I love TED talks, and always find myself watching more and more, sometimes I watch videos on topics I am not that interested in, but because the speakers are always so great!

    ReplyDelete