Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Assistive Technology & Accessibility

This week we are discussing assistive technology, accessibility and universal design. One of our discussion questions for class asked if the websites we used (personally or as educators) were accessible for ALL individuals. Sadly, this is concept/idea that I have never gave much thought (for example, is this website designed to allow for screen readers, videos closed captioned, can you only navigate the site with a mouse, etc. etc.). And, well, I think we ALL should stop and think about the inequality of the internet/websites for persons with disabilities. 

We all know about the ADA (Americans with Disability Act) is unquestionably valuable. In fact, section 508 of the ADA requires all federal websites to be accessible for persons with disabilities. However, we all know that the Internet's resources go far beyond federal websites for our society (and our classrooms!). While answering my discussion question on Blackboard this week, I came across this press release/litigation case. And, upon further web clicking, I came across this Wall Street Journal article. There have been many other lawsuits for similar problems (equal access to websites). If you are so inclined, you can find noteworthy cases at the bottom of this webpage (Netflix, Hotels.com, Amazon and beyond are on there!). 

There are real obstacles for persons with disabilities having fair and equal access to ALL of the Internet (or even simple technologies in public areas that you or I take for granted in our daily lives). It's easy to get assume technology is a easy fix or always a  for persons with disabilities --- but it appeared very quickly after some fast research that in the end Internet use actually leads to huge roadblocks, frustration and inequality for persons with disabilities. 

This is all food for thought. I truly appreciate that this topic was brought up this week! I think having accessibility audits for all websites would help this growing problem. But, of course, much more needs to be done and I am not an expert or special education resource. 

Lastly, I also did a little bit of digging on the Internet for assistive technologies designed specifically to be used in a Family Consumer Science Career and Technical classroom/lab (my area of specialty). And, well, I was a little disappointed as I only found two:
Lastly, as resource to my fellow teachers, I found this website: http://techmatrix.org/. This is a searchable database of over 400 assistive and educational technology tools and resources. Absolutely a website you should stash away in your filing cabinet (though it doesnt allow for searches for subject areas like music, art, or career and technical courses. boo!). This article also lists multiple awesome Web 2.0 (yay!) apps to support diverse learners in the classroom.

That's a wrap!

Sara


6 comments:

  1. Hi Sara, I really enjoyed your post. I am glad you are looking for AT to help your students. Last spring, I took a course about AT and universal design. One thing I learned was often times individuals with disabilities or their families come up with great ideas, many times using low tech items, for AT. If you ever have a student who you think could benefit from AT but you do not have anything to help them, perhaps you could ask them what they use at home when they are in a similar situation and use it in your classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is super advice/knoweldge, Caitlin. Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
  2. I think AT is always important because AT can always be made bigger and better. Technology is one of the more convenient platforms nowadays and I think people with learning disabilities should be able to interact and gain the same knowledge that anyone else would and I do like how now AT will give them a better chance of being able to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another very thoughtful post! I agree that this was a great topic to become part of the class discussion and something more people should be aware of and be talking about. In addition to knowing that people use AT to access the WWW. I think the quality of the compliance with AT should be given more attention. Often times CC on videos are not accurate and live reports (i.e. Facebook LIVE) are not captioned. AT is often left chasing innovation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thoughtful point. The quality of compliance absolutely needs more attention. I am sure your background makes you a super person to discuss these ideas with. :)

      Delete